Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Power of One

This morning I was reading from Genesis 18 and Abraham's plea for Sodom. It's amazing, isn't it, that Abraham's plea actually makes a difference. God tells him that he'd spare the city of Sodom if he found 50 righteous men. Abraham, apparently not satisfied with this, wonders about whether God would do the same for 45 righteous. God, again, agrees. On and on it goes until God and Abraham settle on the number 10. If there are 10 righteous, indeed, God will spare the city.

What struck me about this story is the power of one. One person, standing up for a city, crying out to God for Him to relent and not heep destruction upon them. One person, praying to God. One person, making a difference.

You and I can make a difference. You and I can do things that enable God to work. You and I can pray for our friends. You and I can seek God's help with this problem and that problem. You and I can begin right now. We can make a difference. Do it now!