Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What the Detroit Lions Have Taught Me

I have a confession to make this morning. I'm a "die-hard" Detroit Lions fan. I always have been, from my earliest recollections as a kid. And "no," I'm not one of those fair-weather Lions fans who shuns them until there is at least some measure of competitive spirit in their game. I've watched them nearly every Sunday afternoon for over 30 years and like the apostle Paul, I've learned how to be content in all situations-whether they are good or bad.

So, this year I'm happy to say that my Lions are actually playing well. They aren't flashy and they aren't setting any records for most points scored (except for in the 4th Quarter against the Bears) but they are starting to win games that they would normally lose. They are starting to believe in themselves, their coaches, and the system that has been put in place.

I wonder how much more effective we could be as Christians if we truly "bought in" to the Christian life that we say we are following. Many Christians never learn to "win" on a regular basis because they fail to draw strength from their one true source. Paul tells us in 1 Timothy 4:7 to "train yourself to be godly." How much time do we really spend training ourselves to live the wonderful spirit-filled life that he wants all of us to live. As a pastor, I'm not saying this is easy. Even I have a tough time placing enough solid time in my schedule for this training. However, as a pastor, I will say it is necessary. Much like the Detroit Lions, who would never be where they are today (5-2) without proper workouts, training and practice, we too need to study our playbook (The Bible). Then and only then, will we start "winning" more often. So, if your reading this blog, please start reading your Bible instead.