Friday, January 04, 2008

More on Reading Your Bible

I thought I'd add a little bit to what I previously wrote on reading your Bible. If you haven't begun to read as of yet, today is a new day for you to get started. As a further help, I thought I'd share with you that plan that I'm following.

This year, I've decided to follow along with the pattern of Bible reading espoused and taught by the Scottish Pastor Robert M'Cheyene. I used this plan about eight years ago and found it extremely rewarding. Robert Murray M'Cheyne (also known as McCheyne) was an early 19th century pastor and preacher. Amongst his legacy is his scheme for daily Bible reading. In its original formulation it takes the reader through the the Old Testament once and the New Testament and Psalms twice per year. This means reading about four chapters a day, taken from different parts of the Bible.

The link for the online version of this plan can be found at the following address:

http://hippocampusextensions.com/mcheyneplan.html

Let me know what you think. It's ambitious for most, but, as Henry Ford once said, "nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs." One or two chapters in the morning, one at lunch and another when you go to bed and you've done it! It's not that tough if you simply build it into your day. Go for it!