Monday, February 04, 2008

Pizza and the Bible


I'm a big fan of pizza-I could eat it just about every day. In fact, if I had my way, I'd probably eat it every night. The beauty of pizza for me is that depending on where you buy it from, it can span the taste spectrum. What I mean is that Pizza Hut pizza tastes different than Papa Jon's pizza. Dominoes Pizza tastes different than Little Caesar's pizza and this is a good thing (and that doesn't even take into account all the other pizza chain places as well as the Mom and Pop kind of pizza joints that are out there that make incredibly delicious pizza). Depending on what you're feeling like, you can find a pizza that can meet you precisely where you want it to in regards to taste.

In this way, God's Word is a lot like pizza. It spans the spectrum of all of our needs. Sometimes we crave wisdom and when we do, where better to turn to satisfy our spiritual taste buds than a fresh look at the Proverbs. Other times, when life doesn't seem so chipper, perhaps what we crave is an honest reading of the Psalms and the vast spectrum of emotions that we find therein. If we're feeling like a historian, where better to turn than to the historical books of the bible for a fresh taste of Israelite history. I think you get the point (and I haven't even talked about the all you can eat buffet that we find in our New Testament). The fact is, wherever we are on the rollercoaster known as life, God's Word is always there waiting for us to dig in. So start digging today. I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.