Saturday, July 07, 2007

Vision - A Lesson in Humility

Recently, I've been struggling with the whole idea of vision and trying to communicate that vision to others successfully. During my devotions, I liked what Oswald Chambers said about vision: "God gives us the vision, then He takes us down to the valley to batter us into the shape of the vision, and it is in the valley that so many of us faint and give way." This is where I feel I'm at right now - in the valley. And honestly, there are days where I'm left wondering whether it's all worth it or not. To have your leadership called into question, to be criticized and judged for what your saying or not saying - is it worth it? There are days when it would be a whole lot easier to be a follower than a leader.

Still, when you have a vision from God, it's tough to just ignore the plan that God has laid upon your heart. Chambers concludes: "If you have ever had the vision of God, you may try as you like to be satisfied on a lower level, but God will never let you." That's where I'm at. I'm stuck. Thankfully, one of my spiritual gifts happens to be faith, so I don't have to have it all figured out. I know and have faith that God will clear things up for me and make this vision a reality in His timing. In God's words to Isaiah referring to a future time, he said: "And the parched ground shall become a pool." While I'm excited about seeing the "pool," I know I'm also in the valley for a reason. And with God's help, I will not "faint or give way."